Monteoliveto or Sant'Anna dei Lombardi
The Monteoliveto church or also known as Sant' Anna dei Lombardi is in piazza Monteoliveto, not far from piazza Caritá. Founded in 1411, it was one of the favourite churches of the Aragon court, as King Alphonse II often attended mass here, as well as many other aristocratic families. The grounds were located just outside the city walls and extended to the slopes of the Sant'Elmo hill. The large space and ample gardens made possible great enlargements during the centuries. In 1799, Ferdinand of Bourbon gave the church to the confraternity of the Lombardi, who already had a church nearby called Sant' Anna dei Lombardi (this is why the church has two names). During WWII the church was terribly damaged by bombing. The interior is one of the most interesting in Italy. King Alphonse and his connections with other Italian families, like the Medici and the Estensi, made it possible to bring many artists of the Italian Renaissance to decorate the church. Noteworthy is the Correale Chapel, the first chapel on the right side of the church, with has reliefs by Giuliano da Maiano, dated 1489, the spectacular Funerary Monument to Mary of Aragona (1475), King Ferrante's daughter, by Antonio Rossellino in the Piccolomini Chapel and the frescoes in the Sacristy by Giorgio Vasari dated, 1544. For this church. Caravaggio was also commissioned to paint three canvases, unfortunately they are now lost.
Piazza Monteoliveto, 4, - 80134 Napoli
Tel.: +39 081 551 33 33 – +39 081 580 83 91
Opening hours: Mon - Sat 10.00 - 13.00 / Evenings 16.00 - 18.00 / Sundays and holidays: 10.00 - 12.00
Nearest metro station: Linea 1 - TOLEDO