San Domenico Maggiore
From piazza del Gesú to the end of via Benedetto Croce, there is San Domenico Maggiore Church. Built in 1283, and commissioned by King Charles of Anjou for the Dominicans order, the church is an example of Gothic style. The basilica has been subjected to many changes during the centuries compromising the original spaces. Here worked many of Italy's finest sculptors from Tino da Camaino to Cosimo Fanzago, and painters, from Pietro Cavallini to Titian, Michelangelo da Caravaggio and Luca Giordano. For this church, the famous Flagellation (1607-09) by Caravaggio was commissioned and also Annunciation (1557) by Titian which is in the first chapel on the left side of the transept. Both paintings are on display at the Capodimonte Museum. In the church hangs copies of these paintings.
Piazza S. Domenico Maggiore, 8A - 80134 Napoli
Tel.: +39 081 459 188
Opening hours: Mon - Sun 10.00 - 19.00
Nearest metro station: Linea 1 - UNIVERSITA