Santa Maria La Nova
Walking through via Monteoliveto, you will find the church of Santa Maria La Nova (called 'new' to distinguish from another church located near Castel Nuovo and now destroyed). Built in 1279 for the order of Saint Francis, the church was modified in 1596-99. The plan is a central nave dominated by a gilded coffered ceiling, divided into 46 canvas sections and painted between 1598 and 1603 by many important Neapolitan artists like Francesco Curia, Fabrizio Santafede, Belisario Corenzio. The result is an 'anthology' of the Neapolitan style of painting just before the arrival of Caravaggio in the city. Later on, other important names worked in the church, like Cosimo Fanzago, Massimo Stanzione and Luca Giordano.
Official website: Santa Maria la Nova
Piazza Santa Maria la Nova, 44 - 80134 Napoli
Tel.: +39 081 552 15 97
Church free entry.
Tickets for the Museum: € 5 / Concessions: € 3 (under 18)
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 09.30 - 15.00 / Sat - Sun 09.30
Nearest metro station: Linea 1 - UNIVESITÁ