Girolamini Church and Art Gallery
At the very end of via dei Tribunali, just before the Cathedral, there is the Gerolamini church. This church might not be on the usual classical tourist itinerary, however if you have more time to spend in Naples, it is worth a visit. This complex is in the area near the Cathedral and it extends over quite a large area. The construction of the church began in 1592 for the Gerolamini order (or Oratorias) and was designed by architects from both Naples and Tuscany, who were already working at the Certosa in San Martino. The church was completed in 1619 while the rest of the convent took longer. The dome, the cloister and the façade are dated around the mid-seventeenth century. Many important masters worked here like the sculptor Pietro Bernini (father of the most famous, Gian Lorenzo), painters like Pietro da Cortona, Guido Reni, Luca Giordano (his fresco of the Expulsion of the Merchants from the Temple, 1684) and Francesco Solimena (stories of saint Philip Neri). Also interesting is the library, which contains many historical collections and the biggest collection of Neapolitan music after San Pietro a Maiella. Although the library is not accessible, it is possible to visit the Art Gallery, which has Renaissance and Neapolitan Mannerist paintings by artists such as, Guido Reni, Battistello Caracciolo and Jusepe de Ribera.
Official website: Complesso dei Gerolamini
Piazza Gerolomini, 84090 Napoli / Via Duomo 144
Tel.: +39 081 229 45 71
Tickets: € 5 / Concession: € 2,50
Free entry every first Sunday of the month.
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 08.30 - 19.00 / Sat - Sun 08.30 - 14.00
Closed on Wednesdays.
Info for guided tour: email@example.com / 333 43 38 049
Nearest metro station: Linea 1 - MUSEO or Linea 2 - CAVOUR