San Francesco and Paola
Piazza Plebiscito is dominated by the presence of San Francesco and Paola Church. Ferdinand of Bourbon wanted to build a church as a vow and gave the construction project to the architect Pietro Bianchi in 1816. The church is fronted by a wide colonnade inspired by San Peter's Basilica in Rome but on a smaller scale and supporting a tympanum and surmounted by the statue of Religion. The huge dome is an homage to the Pantheon in Rome and is decorated with lacunars and limestone rosettes. The interior is decorated with thirty-two columns with Corinthian capitals and six chapels on the sides. In each chapel there are statues of the four Evangelists and the four Doctors of the church. The wonderful high altar in polychrome marble and precious stones was designed by Ferdinando Fuga in 1751 for the church of Santi Apostoli.
Piazza del Plebiscito, 80132 Napoli
Tel.: +39 081 764 51 33 / +39 340 399 0187
Opening hours: Mon - Sun 08.30 - 19.30
Nearest metro station: Linea 1 - MUNICIPIO or with the funicular Centrale - PIAZZA AUGUSTEO