Behind the Cathedral, along via Donnaregina, there is the Santi Apostoli church. The foundation of this building is dated around the mid-fifth century. It was first a property owned by the aristocratic family of the Caracciolo and then given to the Theatine monks. The construction of the church started around 1609. The church has a single nave, covered by barrel vaults with four chapels each side, covered by small elliptical domes and a semi circular apse. The interior decoration has spectacular frescoes by Giovanni Lanfranco (1638-46) and with paintings by Francesco Solimena and Marco Pino. The monumental altar called Filomarino on the left side of the transept was made around 1638 and designed by Francesco Borromini.
Largo SS. Apostoli, 9 - 80138 Napoli
Tel.: +39 081 299 375
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 09.00 - 12.00, evening 17.00 - 20.00 / Sat - Sun 09.00 - 13.00